Powerful methods to facilitate and build consensus
Prerequisite: None *
*GFM is a prerequisite for most other ICA courses and all Programs.
Move beyond “seat-of-the-pants” facilitation and reliance on instinct, to use the most powerful facilitation methods and processes available. Learn step-by-step approaches to clear thinking, sound decisions, solid consensus and open dialogue.
Group Facilitation is a foundational course for professional facilitators and will give you a thorough grounding in facilitation practice.
This course has been endorsed by the International Association of Facilitators (IAF) as part of the Professional Facilitator Program to lead you to become a Certified Professional Facilitator (CPF). GFM alone covers many of the competencies required by the IAF.
As with all ICAA training, this course is delivered by professional facilitators who actually demonstrate the materials, lead reflections to learn collaboratively, provide real life examples from experience, and set you up to practice with others using a suite of tools. Sometimes you might work on interesting case studies. Sometimes you work on your own case. The high quality manual is full of useful materials: underlying theory, short readings, step-by-step instructions, templates, and worksheets. As a result you will have the confidence to use your new understandings immediately with clients of your own.
In Person (IP) classes are instructor-led events occurring in the same room on specific dates with one group of people. You have a deep level of dialogue with face-to-face practice in breakout groups, get paper manuals and books, use pen-and-paper worksheets and exercises and enjoy breaks and lunches together. Instructors demonstrate methods using flipcharts, index cards, marker pens and wall chart visuals . The experience for participants can be similar to working with a client in a live setting. There is no practice of online tools.
This course is usually scheduled from 9 am – 5 pm in the time zone of the location mentioned. Please check the timing carefully when registering.
Price is in CAD$1,345.00. Applicable tax is extra.
Focus group energy on common goals
- Lead groups to form consensus
- Facilitate solid commitment to results
- Encourage group creativity
Build motivation and improve morale
- Help groups resolve conflict
- Build respect and trust in groups
- Create lively effective teamwork
- Generate positive interaction
Make groups more productive and effective
- Conduct easier, faster meetings
- Save time and money on meetings
- Involve participants in discussions
- Get more ideas into the mix
The Focused Conversation Method
- Demonstration of FCM
- Theory and levels of thinking
- Applications of FCM
- Designing focused conversations
- Practice leading conversations
Consensus Workshop Method
- Demonstration of Consensus Workshop
- Theory and group dynamics
- Applications of Consensus Workshop
- Designing Focus Questions
- Practice Consensus Workshops
- Experienced facilitators by reinforcing what you are already doing well and pointing out those areas that need work.
- New facilitators by starting you out on a solid foundation with best practices used by professional facilitators around the world.
- Executives, managers and other leaders by acquainting you with key facilitation skills that will immediately enhance your leadership capacity.
- Consultants by showing how to engage your clients more effectively in discussions and solutions.
- Presenters and trainers who will get new practical tools that will enhance the adult learning principles they know are important.
- Anyone who wants to be assessed by the International Association of Facilitators as a Certifies Professional Facilitator (CPF)
Learn two powerful methods to enhance your facilitation
The Focused Conversation Method provides a structure for clear dialogue and reflection, probes beneath the surface to the depth of a topic, encourages a diversity of perspectives and leads to decisions.
- Gets everyone participating
- Encourages a diversity of perspectives
- Provides a structure for positive dialogue
- Gets beneath the surface of a topic
- Builds common understanding
The Consensus Workshop Method provides a participative and respectful way to move a group toward consensus on those important topics that everyone wants a breakthrough.
- Involves each group member
- Gets all the ideas into the mix
- Focuses the group consensus
- Builds an effective team partnership
- Enables you to facilitate large groups