Develop and lead multi-session events. Endorsed by the International Association of Facilitators.
This 2 day course shows how to collaborate with a client about all their needs, co-discover their big challenges, co-manage a robust facilitation intervention, contracting with the client and evaluating the results. Packed with tools, templates and sophisticated assessment methods Facilitating Client Collaboration will prepare you to launch your facilitation practice. Covers 3 of the 6 IAF Competencies to help prepare you for IAF certification.
Facilitators will be able to lead longer term interventions for their clients. This could include consultations, planning, conferences and change initiatives.
You will learn how to assess, design and manage these interventions by creating them collaboratively with a client team. In this course, you will learn the practical approaches and skills to tackle work from the first call, to evaluation.
The course is endorsed by the International Association of Facilitators to cover 3 of the 6 Competencies assessed to become a Certified Professional Facilitator: Create Collaborative Relationships, Build and Maintain Professional Knowledge, Model Positive Professional Attitude.
Facilitating Client Collaboration is for any facilitator or consultant who must engage their client in thinking through complex interventions. This course will build confidence with skills and approaches for working with a client to manage multi-sessions events effectively.
As with all ICAA training, this course is delivered by professional facilitators who actually demonstrate the materials, lead reflections to learn collaboratively, provide real life examples from experience, and set you up to practice with others using a suite of tools. Sometimes you might work on interesting case studies. Sometimes you work on your own case. The high quality manual is full of useful materials: underlying theory, short readings, step-by-step instructions, templates, and worksheets. As a result you will have the confidence to use your new understandings immediately with clients of your own.
Both the “live online” and “in-person” courses are usually scheduled from 9 am – 5 pm in the time zone of the location mentioned. Please check the timing carefully when registering.
You will need to choose your preferred type of setting or mode of delivery. The descriptions of the differences between live online (LO), in-person (IP), and self-directed (SD) are explained in an expandable section near the bottom of this web page.
Courses are held from 9 am – 5 pm in the time zone of the location mentioned.
Price is in CAD$1,345.00. Applicable tax is extra.
Learn how to propose a full scale facilitated solution to a client need.
Create collaborative client relationships
- Develop working partnerships
- Manage multi-session events effectively
Evoke group creativity
- Assess the organizational environment and client needs.
- Determine client challenges and solutions.
- Use innovation approaches that fit the abilities of the group.
Best practices for working together
- Develop consensus on tasks, deliverables and roles
- Model professional boundaries
- Templates from contracting to evaluation
Facilitating Client Collaboration uses real case studies from master practitioners to prepare you for your facilitation profession.
Price is CAD$1,345 plus applicable tax.
- Ethics, values and the power of facilitation
- Conversations and rapport with clients
- Assessments and ToP participatory client assessment
- Co-discovering client challenges
- Creativity and creative facilitation approaches
- Managing events and milestone mapping
- Contracting with a client
- Participatory evaluation
- Client communication
- Facilitators and consultants who want to work with a client to develop complex or long term interventions
- Managers, supervisors and staff who must enhance a group's potential to create generate solutions to long term situations.
- Leaders who must design participatory processes with groups.
This course demonstrates competencies that are needed by IAF as a Certified Professional Facilitator, and by ICA as a Certified ToP Facilitator.
Learn important methods for all forms of planning:
- Client calls and conversations
- Participatory client assessment - helping clients understand long range needs from a comprehensive screen.
- Social Process tool – uncover client challenges and imbalances in their work
- Templates – co-management, contracting, evaluation.
Each session includes:
- Demonstration of participatory processes.
- Exploration of how the process can be applied.
- Examples from real experience that reveal practices that lead to success.
- Variations for different situations.
You can choose to take this course In Person (IP) or Live Online (LO). The codes IP or LO show in the course name when you register.
In Person (IP) classes are instructor-led events occurring in the same room on specific dates with one group of people. You have a deep level of dialogue with face-to-face practice in breakout groups, get paper manuals and books, use pen-and-paper worksheets and exercises and enjoy breaks and lunches together. Instructors demonstrate methods using flipcharts, index cards, marker pens and wall chart visuals . The experience for participants can be similar to working with a client in a live setting. There is no practice of online tools.
Live Online (LO) classes are instructor-led events occurring at the same time with the same people, using our learning management system and online platforms, primarily Zoom and Mural. The course covers the same material as an IP course but uses online tools with plenty of small group exercises. Manuals and books are downloadable as PDFs that can be printed out if you want. There are no programs or apps to download. Participants need a computer with a large screen (a cell phone won't work well), a high speed internet connection, and earphones or earbuds. We do not actively “teach” online tools, but participants get so see and experience the ones we use during the course.
Self Directed (SD) courses are sets of “modules” like mini-courses, each containing short videos, readings, quizzes and games and assignments. You take them at your own speed any time from anywhere. You get written feedback from instructors on your assignments. The modules are assembled to resemble the in-person and live online course content. The disadvantage is the absence of collegial interaction, teamwork, and dialogue, which is a key component of facilitation. Participant manuals and materials are downloadable in PDF form.
All course graduates are encouraged to follow-up with some 1:1 coaching and join communities of practice we have set up to help extend and reinforce learning.