Group Facilitation Methods
Become a great facilitator
Group Facilitation is a foundational course for professional facilitators as well as those who need a thorough grounding in facilitation practice.
Move beyond unplanned facilitation and reliance on instinct, with the most powerful facilitation methods and processes available. Learn step-by-step approaches to clear thinking, sound decisions, solid consensus and open dialogue.
Insightful learning for experienced as well as novice facilitators, this signature two day course is offered several times each year in Toronto and across Canada. It will make an immediate and dramatic difference in your understanding and practice of facilitation.
Group Facilitation Methods is a prerequisite for most other courses. It is widely available across Canada, and in many other countries.
The course in Toronto includes the book Art of Focused Conversation: 100 Ways to Access Group Wisdom in the Workplace by Brian Stanfield.
Day OneThe Focused Conversation Method
- Demonstration of FCM
- Theory and levels of thinking
- Applications of FCM
Focused Conversation Practice
- Designing focused conversations
- Practice leading conversations
Consensus Workshop Method
- Demonstration of Consensus Workshop
- Theory and group dynamics
- Applications of Consensus Workshop
Consensus Workshop Practice
- Designing Focus Questions
- Practice Consensus Workshops
- Become a great facilitator. Move beyond instinct and seat-of-the-pants practice, with the most powerful facilitation methods and processes available.
Engage people in creative productive group work
ICA’s Group Facilitation Methods are the most valuable tools in my toolkit. No matter what a client asks me to do, I inevitably use one of the methods as part of my work. They are effective, versatile, and create clear, visible, practical ways to work with subtle and complex human dynamics. I recommend them to anyone trying to organize anything from large scale cultural change projects to this year’s family vacation. - Emma Sobel, Human Resources, Queens University
Focus group energy on common goals- Enable groups to form consensus
- Facilitate solid commitment to results
- Encourage group creativity
Build motivation and improve morale- Help groups resolve conflict
- Build respect and trust in groups
- Create lively effective teamwork
- Generate positive interaction
Make groups more productive and effective- Conduct easier, faster meetings
- Save time and money on meetings
- Involve participants in discussions
- Get more ideas into the mix
Learn two powerful methods to enhance your facilitation
The Focused Conversation Method provides a structure for clear dialogue and reflection, probes beneath the surface to the depth of a topic, encourages a diversity of perspectives and leads to decisions.
- Gets everyone participating
- Encourages a diversity of perspectives
- Provides a structure for positive dialogue
- Gets beneath the surface of a topic
- Builds common understanding
The Consensus Workshop Method provides a participative and respectful way to move a group toward consensus on those important topics that everyone wants a breakthrough.
- Involves each group member
- Gets all the ideas into the mix
- Focuses the group consensus
- Builds an effective team partnership
- Enables you to facilitate large groups
Everyone gains from Group Facilitation Methods
For experienced facilitators, Group Facilitation Methods will affirm what you are already doing that is helpful and will point out those areas that need work and will make a positive difference in your practice. It will provide you with two flexible, powerful methods.
New facilitators will be able to start out on a solid foundation with best practices used by facilitators around the world.
Executives, managers and other leaders will become acquainted with key facilitation skills that will immediately enhance their leadership capacity.
Consultants will learn how to engage their clients more effectively in discussion and solutions.
Presenters and trainers will get new tools that will practically enhance the adult learning principles they know are important.
The Focused Conversation Method and the Consensus Workshop Method can be used in planning, conferences, problem solving, discussion groups, conflict resolution, interviews, training by facilitators, mediators, chairpersons, moderators and consultants.
This course is a prerequisite for many ICA and ToP courses, and will help in your preparation for assessment for IAF's Certified Professional Facilitator designation and for ICA's Certified ToP Facilitator designation.
File Name Description Download WorkshopIntro.pdf Introducing the Workshop Method Download ICAInhouseGFMbro.pdf New Inhouse Group Facilitation brochure Download Course Description Group Facilitation Methods Download HabitsThatBlockConversation.pdf Toward more fulfilling conversations Download ICACoursesSIASTRegina 2015.pdf GFM at SIAST 2015 Download Group Facilitation Methods 2016 2016 Course schedule Download
- IAF Endorsed Program
- Professional Facilitator Program
- Group Facilitation Methods
- Meetings That Work
- Art and Science of Participation
- Online Courses
- Facilitative Leadership Program
- Facilitated Planning
- Advanced ToP Tools
- Human Development
- Organizational Transformation
- Certified Professional Facilitator CPF
- Group Facilitation Online 1:00pm EST
- Meetings That Work Online
- ToP Facilitated Planning Online
- Advanced Facilitator Program
- Community Development Intensive
- Certified ToP Facilitator
Dates and location offered for: Group Facilitation Methods
Find Workshop Location(s)
- Sask Polytechnical Institute
- Regina Campus
- Linda OHalloran